Thursday, June 03, 2010

Faranak's writing

Dear Sue,
Thank you very much for your guidance. It was very helpful to me. In the Persian language, we don't have "a, an, the" so, I forget them most of the time.

Today is mother's day. In our religion, we have a woman that she was very virtuous and immaculate and we believe that she was a holy person. Mother's day is her birth day.

Sue, I have a professor that he lived in US for about 20 or 30 years. He is differ with other professors.
In a university most of the professors have a room and they spend their free time there and eat foods and lunch in their room or a special place that is for the personnel but, he eats food in a buffet where student are there and in his free time an break time, he is in a campus of university. He calls student in the first name too and always calls me "Feranak" with a sweet accent, he is very likable.
In Iran, professors are very intimate with students (almost like friends)in some course, specially art, and in a technical course(like my course), relations are friendly an official.
Please say me, how are relations between professor and student there.

My letter is very long, I hope that I can say what I mean correctly and you don't become tired when you read it.
Take care.
Your friend Faranak.

2 comments:

Alireza Taghdarreh said...

Sue, The woman Faranak is speaking about is our prophet's daughter, Fattemeh. Today which is her birthday is celebrated in Iran as the woman's day. Normally, men buy gifts for their wives, their mothers and their mothers in law -- a costly day!

Sue said...

Dear Faranak, It is always a pleasure to see a message from you. I consider you my young girl friend in Iran. Yes, many times professors in America are anxious to be open and helpful to students, but, as a teacher, I always wanted to remember that I was a teacher first and a friend, second. I am glad you have found such a professor to help you as you grow. Where did he live in the US?
As a teacher, I want to go over two things in your post:

"Today is mother's day. In our religion, we have a woman that she was very virtuous and immaculate and we believe that she was a holy person. Mother's day is her birth day."
In the above paragraph there are two rules to follow:

1. Never use two nouns or pronouns for the same person at one time. "My mother, she went to town..." is considered poor English.
2. That or who: if you speak of a person it is who, if it is an object it is that. "I love mother who is close to me." or "I love that vase which is very pretty."
"
So your sentence would be better if you said, "We have a woman who was very virtuous..."
Following the same rule you would say "I have a professor who lived in the ..."

If you don't understand, please ask and I will be happy to give you more help. You are doing so well that it is a pleasure to help you with your English and to get to know you. Your professor is very lucky to know you.

Sue

Longman Dictionary

Education Fire

News

%