Sunday, June 06, 2010

Two Wolves Within

One evening an old Cherokee (an American Indian Tribe) told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, and lies.
The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth compassion and faith."
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, Which wolf wins?" The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

I have often thought that I would love to teach a human relations course, analyzing the impact of these wolves within each of us. They all accompany us on our path of life.

4 comments:

Faranak said...

Dear Sue,
This story is very nice and informative. If all people know them, we will not have any war and hemorrhage.

Alireza Taghdarreh said...

Faranak, Aren't Sue's words and her stories the nicest we have heard in our lives? I am sure you, I and all the other here on this site will ever forget who Sue is and what she tries to show us.

And Faranak I believe that instead of the word "hemorrhage" you should say "bloodshed." Am I right, Sue?

Sue said...

Yes,I agree, I think bloodshed is a better word choice. Another more advanced point: since Faranak says, "If..." it would be better if she said "we would not have...". I believe this is called an unconditional verb. Does that sound right to you Mr. T.?

Sue said...

My apologies. If one uses "if" I believe it is called a conditional verb, not unconditional. My error.

Sue

Longman Dictionary

Education Fire

News

%