Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bahman's Writing

Dear Sue,
Thank you for correcting my letter. I try to study for master in these days. My study isn’t very good, because Tehran is very warm. One is weary when the weather is warm. We want to buy a new house and we go for seeing houses afternoons. I go to library mornings.
In Iran we have different languages for example Azari in Tabriz, Gilaki in north, Arabik in south, but Farsi is understood all over Iran. Have you different languages in the U.S?
Did you listen to Faramarze Payvar’s piece?
Take care, Bahman

1 comment:

Sue said...

Yes, Bahman, I listened to Farmarze Payvar's piece. It was so very beautiful that I wish I could learn to play so well! Ah well, perhaps in my next life :)

Your English is getting better. Expand your command over verbs. There is nothing wrong in saying "I try to study for master in these days", but it is better English to say, I am trying to study for my master's these days. Likewise it is better to say "we are going to the library in the mornings, is a little better. Mr. T can explain the difference to you.

We have different dialects and usages in America in different locations but it is all English. We do, however, have immigrants still speaking Spanish, Arab, etc depending on where they came from. In the South Americans seem to say 'y'all, instead of you or you all. They talk slow and don't articulate their words like Yankees (northerners) do. In the West there are multitudes of different types of English. I think this is because there are people from all over the country in the West. British English is different in that they speak from the back of the throat and it sometimes seems like they have a mouth full of marbles to us Americans. Yet, it is all English - just different ways of pronunciation and different colloquial sayings.

I have a question: how do you feel about American popular music? What groups do you like?

Your friend, Sue

Longman Dictionary

Education Fire

News

%