Monday, August 09, 2010

Faranak's Writing

Dear Sue,
Sorry because of I answer late.
Today I'm very happy. I have written a program for a ministry and today it was finished.
This project is very easy for a skilled person but it was very difficult for me, it was the first project that I have written alone, I learned a lot of new things and I think it was worth.
Sue, Although written a program is very important in my course and it has a good income unfortunately, girls shows interest in writing codes less than boys in Iran. I hope that the number of girls, in this field, increase in future.

Dear friend, you asked me "Are governmental colleges actually better in Iran?"
Yes, they are really better from different aspects among training, quality, professors, etc.
Of course we have good professors and students in other universities too, but in governmental ones are more.

I have a question: Can we say to a first year student, a freshman, a second year one, a sophomore, a third year one, a junior and a forth year, a senior?

Your friend, Faranak.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Oh Good! I got a letter from Fraranak! Yea! I don't know what 'a ministry' is. Can you explain it to me? What kind of project did you complete? Are you training to be what we call "A programmer" for computer programs? It is well paid here, as well. I wonder why women are not attracted to this field?

I think that here in America, many private colleges are considered higher class than governmental colleges. For example, our "Ivy League" schools, (Eastern schools that are the top of the heap) like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia etc, are all privately funded. That way they don't owe their existence to any one other than those who fund the university. Many religions also have their own colleges, as do various races. Blacks can attend any college if they have the funding, but some colleges are black oriented.

Yes, Freshman is lst year, Sophomore is second, Junior is third and Senior is 4th. This is true in high school and in college or university courses.

Keep up your good work.

Sue said...

Dear Faranak,

1.Because is unneeded in this sentence. Because indicates that you will tell us why you answered late. It would be better to say, "I am sorry that I am answering late."

I understand almost everything you write, but now your task is to polish your English

2. "I answer" is understandable, but "am answering" is better.

3. "...and I think it was worth." Worth what? Worth is a verb that requires an object. "...and I think it was worth the time. ...or worth it."

4. Writing is the correct verb form here. NOt written.

4. Suggested way to express the next sentence. "...girls, unfortunately, show less interest in writing codes than boys in Iran.

5. Also, I would say, ...but there are more in governmental universities.

6.Finally, "Can we say to a first year student... Call is a better verb here. Can we call a first year student...

Faranak, you are doing well. Almost all of your errors might imporove if you spend time listening to spoken English. I am going to try to tape your letter as I would rewrite it and have Mr. T play it for you.

Your friend, Sue

Longman Dictionary

Education Fire

News

%