Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Titles in America

If one is speaking or writing to someone, here are the titles you would use:

Mr. (Mister) any man
Miss an unmarried woman
Mrs. (Mistress) a married woman
Ms. When you don't know if a woman is married or unmarried.

Dr. Doctor This is used for medical doctors and also for persons with a PHD degree in any subject.

I thought this might help. Usually we are more informal in America. I want you to just call me Sue, although my title would be Mrs. Sue Petrovski. Before I was married I was Miss Sue Matthews. I married Mr. Rudy Petrovski and when a woman marries she takes his last name. Sometimes I sign myself as

Sue Matthews Petrovski

2 comments:

Alireza Taghdarreh said...

Sue, Mathews sounds more like an English name than Petrovsky. Tell me please, does any of your husband's ancestors have anything to do with any of the Slavic languages and culture such as Russia or Poland?

In Iran girls retain their paternal names for life. Marriage does not bring any change to a girl's name. So you have two people with two different family names living under the same roof.

Speaking of titles I have a question: What is the polite and common form of addressing a high school teacher in America? In universities it would be "Professor" I know.

Sue said...

Matthews is from my Scotch-Irish immigrant ancestors who came into America in the early 1700s. They were with the Daniel Boone settlers who came into Kentucky and Indiana for religious reasons. They were Baptists and there was a movement in America called The Great Revival. My great, great grandfather was a Baptist preacher at the frontier church where Lincoln attended as a boy in Indiana.

My husband's father came to America in 1915 as a young man from Hungary. The name is Russian, meaning son of Peter. Many people in Petersburg Russia are named Petrovski.

My daughter's husband is from a Russian Jewish immigrant family who came to America when they lost their homes and were driven out of Russia in a Pogram by the Czar.

Such is America.

I agree with your custom of marriage names for women. My daughter kept her name and still goes by Leslie Petrovski. Many younger women are not changing their names now.

I'm not sure about polite. It depends on how formal the teacher wishes to be: I was known as Mrs. P. Most teachers were given a Mr. or Mrs. or Miss title. Yes, Professor is still used in Universities unless the professor has a Phd.(Dr of Philosophy which is usually requires about 8 years of university education). In that case he or she is known as Dr.

Longman Dictionary

Education Fire

News

%