Friday, July 30, 2010

Collecting the Light

The Candle in the Window can inspire us as a symbol of hope as well as a hand in the darkness willing to share the warmth of life, itself. In her book, My Grandfather’s Blessings, Rachel Remen, a doctor who has specialized in the treatment of advanced cancer and who has, herself, also lived with a debilitating disease, tells us a story that her grandfather taught her when she was four years old. In the beginning, he said, the world was made of light. But by accident, the light was scattered, and became countless fragments of light that found their lodging in each and every bit of creation. He told her that the highest thing that man can use his life for is to look for this light, search out every possible place it can be—to gather it and mold it in order to repair the universe. Isn’t this a beautiful story? Isn’t this a superb meeting point for a life focus?

2 comments:

Alireza Taghdarreh said...

Hi Sue,

The story beautifully shows the profound philosophy behind Rachel Remen's success in a very difficult life. But, personally Sue, I believe that there can not be found a single moment in the life of the universe which we can call accident. Please allow me not to believe that this light was scattered accidentally. My Zoroasterian fathers also considered this light as the origin of existence. Therefore, this philosophy has its roots in me too. But later my mystic fathers took me to a more profound journey showing me something even beyond this light – something known to everyone as love.

In the mystical drama of creation within my culture, God was a hidden treasure that loved to be revealed. In this drama a powerful will is at work not an accident. Existence and all beings are the perpetual revelation of the beloved’s eternal, unending beauty. Man in this drama is the only being which was capable of sensing that beauty and fall in love. “Love” was the secret that the angels were not aware of – much less solids, plants and animals. Since angels do not see the beauty, they do not see ugliness either. And since they do not see ugliness they do not commit sins. Man is aware of beauty and love and consequently of ugliness and hatred. Ah the story of man and his rival Satan in this drama is a long one. I believe I have already spoken about it before. I mean the way it is mentioned in our mystical resources in Iran.

T

Alireza Taghdarreh said...

And Sue, I must not forget to say that you are asking a very beautiful and meaningful question at the end of your post. I have always admired and loved your questions. Let me give you my own answer: You are right. There is nothing better to spend our life on that trying to collect that light. I have managed to gather a lot of light in you, my very dear friend.
Ali

Longman Dictionary

Education Fire

News

%