Friday, July 16, 2010

A letter of gratitude

Sue,

Mahshid and Monireh had been asking me to send their letters to you for ages, really. On several occasions I lost their letters. My apologies to you and to them. Thank you for answering them and thanks a lot for your time.

Faranak has asked me a question which I think is not for me to answer. She asks, "Are there any limitations and restrictions for American writers to publish their books?" Sue, it is totally beyond our belief to imagine a society where people are able to publish whatever they wish to. Unfortunately many of us believe that we MUST be restricted to live in a safer society. I know part of the answer -- I think, but I would love to hear your answer.

T

2 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Ali, Faranak asks interesting questions. There are no restrictions on publishing newspapers, books, magazines etc. in the USA as long as what is printed does not threaten someone. If I wanted to print a book on "How to Kill Obama", no publisher would print it because it fomented destruction of the state. The main limit on a book that the publisher makes is, will it sell? Books are printed by private companies and they want to make a profit. The only books printed by the government are government documents explaining parts of the system etc.

In general, in the US my freedom stops where your nose begins. I do not have a right to write books advocating physical harm, however I can write books telling lies about you. But remember, we have a Civil law as well as a Criminal Law. This means that if you write something that is libelous, I can sue you in Civil Court and collect thousands of dollars.

No society can exist in complete freedom. We have the freedom of speech, religion, press, and so forth, but all freedoms have limits. Freedom of Speech does not allow me to cry 'fire' in a crowded building, Freedom of religion does not permit me to burn down the house of worship of someone else's religion, or to hurt them for worshiping as they wish. The 10 commandments are not allowed, for example, in a court house (house of law) because that would be showing preference for one religion over another. If I allow the 10 commandments, I would have to allow verses from the Koran, the New Testament, Hindu, Buddhist documents etc to be displayed. Our laws cannot take preference for one religion over another.

Are people generally good and can find their own best ways or are they basically evil and have to be told what to do? That's a fundamental philosophical question, I think.

Your friend, Sue

Sue

Faranak said...

Dear Sue,
Thank you very much for your answer. You explain very claer.
Yuor friend, Faranak.

Longman Dictionary

Education Fire

News

%