Friday, September 24, 2010

Bahman's letter to Sue,

Dear Sue,
Thank you for correcting my letter. I will be glad when you tell me my mistakes.
Usually memorial days are when Hafez, Sa’adi and etc were born or die. On Tuesday I went to the Iran national museum. The British Museum agreed to send the treasured Cyrus cylinder to Tehran. It is in Tehran for 3 months. It is first charter of human rights. King Cyrus wrote it about 2500 years ago. It is very painful. It is for Iranian people, but it is in The British Museum. I have a version of it. If you like know what Cyrus wrote in please tell me until I sent a version for you on the site.
We watch films in our classes. I cannot watch very well, because I have to travel further to get to class. I have about 1 hour drive by car if I have not traffic. Last Wednesday I was about 3 hours in traffic when I came back from our English class.
Did you find a book about Shahryar the poet?
Your friend,
Bahman

1 comment:

Sue said...

Dear Bahman, You are involved in so many interesting activities! I would have loved seeing the Cyrus Cylinder with you. What a treasure that is, and I don't blame Iranians for wanting it in Iran. It is like our American Indians. They get very angry that the treasures of their ancestors graves are in white man's museums. The British overused their Colonial powers, IMHO

I have read what Cyrus wrote so long ago and also what the English Magna Carta, written by King John in England in 1215 A.D. said. Of the two, I like the words of Cyrus the best. Both were the words of Kings giving rights to their subjects. Our American Constitution and Bill of Rights written in the early 1800s goes a step further. It is rights given to the people by law. The saying goes, "In America, the Law is King." An interesting difference in thought as time developed. If the rights are King given, the next king can revoke them. Theoretically, if the rights are given by law, only a change in the law can revoke them.

I don't envy you your traveling. It sounds like you have a lot of traffic and that always makes me nervous.

Yes, I got two songs with words by Shahryar, but the words are in Persian, so I didn't know what he said. One was called His Greatest Song and I would love to know the words. Can you or T help me?

Your friend, Sue

Longman Dictionary

Education Fire

News

%