Thursday, September 16, 2010

Faranak's Writing


Hi Sue,
My cousin's wedding is tonight in Mashad. Unfortunately, We couldn't go there. I really love to be there tonight so I'm a little sad.
In Iran, we have different customs and celebrations for a marriage. These celebrations are Baleboroon, Hanabandan(You don't have these), Engaged party, wedding party and others.
One of beautiful customs is:
In engaged party we spread a tablecloth and put different things like the Koran a mirror and a pair of candlesticks, some bread and cheese and vegetable, honey, few eggs, coins, flowers and other things on it.
We decorate these in the most beautiful way. Each of components have a special message. I attache a picture of engaged tablecloths, It was for my sister's engaged party.
Dear Sue, brides wear a beautiful white gown like Americans and usually they wear a short white cape for covering with their gown.
Have a nice time.
Your friend, Faranak.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Dear Faranak, Sorry to take so long getting back to you. I have been busy since my book came out, and now I have decided on what I am going to write next: The title will be "Grandmother Stories". I was talking to some of my friends and they had the most wonderful memories of their grandmothers and the light dawned! Why not write a Grandmother book. At least this is what I want to do. My ideas for a book on Iran are developing, but I still have much to learn. If you have time, sometime, tell me about your grandmother.

I tried to find some good pictures on line of bridal gowns in Iran, but only found one picture of a bride in Esfahan. (I love that name for a town.) It was beautiful. My daughter looked lovely as a bride and perhaps I can find a picture of myself when I was married. Ah, memories! Thank you for your information about wedding customs. Here there are also many different customs. Usually a couple have an engagement party, and then there is a bridal shower with lots of gifts for the bride. Then there is a rehearsal dinner which the groom's parents pay for and then, of course, the wedding and a reception. Dancing and a full meal are usually part of that. It is such a wonderful time of life but be sure you marry the right man!!

Your friend, Sue

Longman Dictionary

Education Fire

News

%