Monday, October 11, 2010

Masnavi reading sessions, Tuesday with Faranak

Sue:  It would be helpful to me, since I will be present in spirit only, if you would give me some idea of which pages you will be studying at each session.

Ali:  Such a pleasure and such a great honor, Sue.  In the first session we read the first 12 lines of the first volume of Masnavi in Nicholson's translation.  Sabber is determined to read the whole Masnavi.  I think this dream will come true this time.   There are a lot of friends who are as determined as Sabber.

We are concentrating on the first 20 lines of Masnavi's first volume, Sue.  In a moment I have a session with Faranak to read the book of Nei, the first 20 which I just mentioned.

Any suggestions, Sue?

Ali

1 comment:

Sue said...

1, On "The Reed". I have read the first 20 lines in both the Nicholson and Mojaddedi version. The latter version bothers me because the translator feels a need to have an aa, bb, aa rhyme. To my American ear, and to my preference, I lean toward poetry without a rhyme. Narrative poetry doesn't need the crutch of rhyme which sometimes makes the writer grasp for words that can confuse the meaning. Example:
line 3,
M: A breast which separation's split in two is what I seek, to share this pain with you:

Nicholson: I want a bosom torn by severance, that I may unfold (to such a one) the pain of love-desire.

I understand what Rumi is saying better in the second translation.

2. Lines 19 and 20 I have marked as important to understanding the Sufi path. I know T will discuss this with you. My Christian belief words it this way: "It is easier for a man to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." All great religions deal with the basic truths.

Sue

Longman Dictionary

Education Fire

News

%