Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bahman's letter to Sue,

Dear Sue,
Yes, I agree I must pay attention to a lot of details. I am so carless. Thank you for correcting my letter and your suggestions. It is interesting 24 hours of sunlight and 24 hours of darkness.
Oh, world war, it is awful.
Iranians in both world wars were very oppressed and hungry. Foods and drinks were for Russia and English solders, but people were hungry.
In Iran we have memorial days. For example Hafez, Sa’adi, memorial day.
We have a memorial week for Iran-Iraq war. For example we are in Iran and Iraq war week. In respect to those killed in war for Iran.
Could you see Payvar’s clip? Is it beautiful?
I am so sorry that my English is bad and I make many mistakes in my letters.
Thank you for your help.
I can understand your culture and I am so glad for this.
Take care,
Bahman

1 comment:

Sue said...

Hi Bahman, If you can understand my culture you're doing better than I. Sometimes I find it hard to understand!
Please don't apologize for your mistakes. Yes, we all are careless (see spelling) once in a while. Know that your English is getting much better, but now is a time to really work on it before your exam.

When you wrote about what it was like in Iran in WWII, I felt bad. I had not considered how it had been for the people of Middle Eastern Nations. Most of the war was fought in Europe and the Pacific.

We have Memorial days for our past wars too. I wish we had a week's holiday for peace. I hate that we have to commemorate war. What is Hafez, Sa'adi memorial day?

I couldn't get Payvar's clip to play. I want to try again, however.

I found only on major error in your letter. Food and drink are seldom used in the plural. I eat food, even if it is different kinds of food. You can use it in the plural sometimes, such as, "I like the foods of many nations." Drinks can be both singular if you are talking about drinks in general. But I would use drinks if I were to say, "I had too many drinks." I would seldom say "I had too many foods." Confusing, I know. In English, I laugh for it seems that rules are made to be broken. I think this is true of American people too! :o}

Your friend, Sue

Longman Dictionary

Education Fire

News

%