Saturday, November 20, 2010

Searching For the Source

Hello to Group:

I have a children's story about a Persian legend associated with a 16th century Mamluk carpet, explaining its pattern which looks like a landscape strewn with jewels. I have only the simple story, but wondered if anyone knew the source of this story? I am trying to collect some Persian stories that have messages. This is simply a story of a treasure lost and regained, unless you all can tell me of its deeper message.

Your friend, Sue

2 comments:

Alireza Taghdarreh said...

The world's, including Iran's, literature is full of the stories of lost and found treasures, Sue. It is almost impossible to find the story and its source unless you tell us some names or other details.

I have one suggestion for you. Focus your attention on Masnavi's stories. Most of its stories are short with very profound messages. Rumi's insight takes us to the depthes which had been hidden in the previous versions of Masnavi's stories. I just told you the story of the Sufis who danced around the empty Sofreh. I love that story so much myself. I know many sites in Persian which render a summary of all masnavi's stories.

Sue said...

I'm sorry, Ali, if I asked the impossible. This is a story of a king who owned a beautiful, large diamond and the light from that diamond lit his palace and he was happy. The diamond was stolen and the thief dropped it and it shattered into a thousand bits of light. The king found the pieces and wanted to return them to the palace but, instead, his people, out of love for the king, spent a year weaving abeautiful silk carpet whose thousands of points of light lit up the king's palace.

My curiosity leads me to wonder who wrote this. I'm aware that it may be just a piece of folklore.

Focus on Masnavi? Yes and no. I have much to learn, and I would like a broader sweep of Iranian philosophy so that I may compare and contrast.

Congratulations on the success of your blog.

Sue

Longman Dictionary

Education Fire

News

%