Friday, October 08, 2010

Bahman's letter to Sue,

Dear Sue,
Santour’s surface is like a desert and Mezrabs are like a man who goes until dusk until find water in desert. When they find water stay in a part and dance there. After, they go again for searching water in desert. I played some piece and recorded them. I will send them for you. Please tell me your idea about them. I am not a good player because I only play for two years.
I am so sorry. I couldn’t find a word for my sentence. My correct sentence is this ‘I think wars and captures are a reason for the sad quality in our music. In our music a key is divided into 24 parts.
If you go to Tehran you should go to my Santour’s class. I am sure you enjoy it. You should go to our home because my family loves to see you. I love to see you in Tehran.
Do you play Violin now?
Take care,
Bahman

2 comments:

Alireza Taghdarreh said...

Sabber, I am very fortunate to be learning English with you. It will be a real pleasure to read Masnavi with you, Maryam and other friends.
It takes a little more patience, but the reward is great. You must see how much time you have for all these.
I do not know about myself, but you are perfectly right about Sue. She is a blessing to all of us.
T
P.S. Just call me T

Sue said...

Bahman, Thank you for sending me the songs you have been playing on the santour. I must tell you that I was very impressed by the quality of your playing. There is no need for you to apologize. I think you play beautifully. I am beginning to develop an ear for your music, which at first was so foreign to me. I can almost see persons talking and searching and yes, wonderful music is like finding water in the desert. I haven't played the violin in years. Until recently I played the piano and a small organ but now I write and there is not time for everything I would like to do. I feel that music and poetry are my favorite means of expression today. I love both means of expressing oneself.

Yes, whatever happens in life affects our music. We have always had fairly happy music except for the blues, a type of music sung by black Americans. For them, life was not very happy and is still not great for many blacks. Since 9/11 I also hear a lot of cynicism and other emotions I don't think I can name in the popular music I hear. I would love to go to your class and also meet your family.

They are lucky to have such a fine son!

Your friend, Sue

Longman Dictionary

Education Fire

News

%